Ten years ago, in 2004, Maxime Dembele, a village health worker and Monique’s favorite
cousin founded the rural health clinic Cabinet de Soins Monique, or Clinique
Monique, in Monique’s honor. Today, the clinic is up, operating, and almost complete! Angele, Monique’s sister and a
midwife herself, hopes to eventually work here.
If you’ve read the book, you know that women in this region have a lifetime
risk of dying in childbirth or pregnancy of 1 in 12. This part of the world also
has the fewest physicians and nursing persons per capita.
Proceeds from sales of Monique and the Mango Rains will help expand the capabilities
of this clinic, as well as provide school tuition assistance and health care for
Monique’s children. You can also donate directly to the clinic at the address
given below. As of September 2014, we have raised over $85,000!!
The clinic is located in Kouri, a small town in Mali with a population of roughly
5,000 people on the Burkino Faso border – just east of Koutiala, where Monique
was born, and Nampossela (too small to be on this map!), where Monique worked.
The purpose of the clinic is to conduct prenatal consultations, perform minor
surgeries, and provide gynecological and obstetrical care.
We are currently installing plumbing and electricity and outfitting the surgical rooms. Other needs include:
- Land to build a new clinic as the current clinic is operating out of a rented space. (this is now complete as of June 2007)
- Building materials for walls, floor, and roof. (this is now complete as of October 2008)
- Windows, doors, plumbing, painting (done as of 2014)
- Medical equipment for operations, such as operating tables, lights, lances,
autoclaves, scissors, scalpels, and other instruments. (on-going)
- Medical equipment for prenatal consultations, births, and weighing babies,
such as scales, obstetrical instruments, chairs, and beds for postpartum recovery.
- Solar panels to help generate electricity to sterilize instruments.
- Training and education for staff. (on-going)
Example of what your money can do:
- $5,000 – Furnishes one surgical room
- $1,000 – pays for one solar generator and back-up battery
- $300 – pays for one year of midwifery training
- $100 – sends a child to school for one year
- $50 – pays for a set of medical instruments
Your donation to Clinique Monique is urgently needed to
make Maxime’s dream of expanding this clinic a reality. Every dollar you donate goes straight to the clinic and to education as we only have volunteer staff here in the US!
You can donate in two ways:
1) By donating securely online through Paypal:
2) By mailing your check made out to “Clinique Monique” to:
c / o Holloway
76 High Street
Florence, MA 01062
Our utmost thanks for your support.
If you’d like more information about this project, please email us at